Fighting for landlords and real estate investors rights in Michigan.
Updated: January 16, 2018
This is a critical time for legislation. New bills have been introduced that will significantly impact your real estate investment business—for better or worse. We need your support to kill or pass these bills.
Help us kill these bills:
- Bill to require lead inspections at all regular rental inspections.
- Bill to remove the ability to evict drug offenders.
- Bill to allow local governments to set rent controls.
- Bill to provide for court-appointed conservators to administer/control all blighted property. (Blighted property as defined by local politicians.)
Help us support these bills:
- Bill to make falsifying a service, support or emotional support animal a felony.
- Bill to increase the amount allowed for attorney fees in eviction/small claims court.
- Bill to allow LLC’s to represent themselves in court.
- Bill to exclude painters and decorators from licensing requirement for residential maintenance and alteration contractors.
- Bill to allow landlord restitution for lost income from rental property made uninhabitable or unfit for intended purpose by larceny.
- Bill to restrict local regulation of vacation rentals and short-term rentals by local zoning.
In addition to many of the tangible benefits of being a member, RPOA strives to address local and state issues that directly impact the rental property industry.
Rental Property Owners Association of Michigan (RPOA-M)
The RPOA is a member of the Rental Property Owners Association of Michigan, a state-wide group working hard to fight for landlords and real estate investors rights in Michigan.
RPOA Political Action Committee (RPOA PAC)
RPOA PAC fund is used to support candidates that are understanding and friendly to the industry at the local and state level.
National Real Estate Investors Association (NREIA)
The RPOA is a member of the National Real Estate Investors Association (NREIA). NREIA fights for investors and landlords issues at the national level on behalf of its member organization. Go here for more info on current legislation and other national news.