Should Landlords & Rehabbers Accommodate an Aging Population?
One-in-Three Adults Have Trouble with Accessibility in Their Home
We’ve read a lot in recent months about the housing needs of retiring baby boomers and the features they’re looking for and are coming to expect. Several departments of the U.S. federal government report that 21.5 million homes with an adult >65 have inadequate accessible features.
Accessibility features needed in these homes include:
- Wheelchair-accessible countertops and sinks.
- Wheelchair-accessible cabinets.
- Both a bedroom and a bathroom on the 1st
- Handrails and grab bars for toilets.
- Built-in shower seat.
- Elevated toilet.
- Extra-wide doorways and hallways.
- Step-free entryway.
- Access ramps.